Search

Monday, March 21, 2011

Wiz Khalifa - Rolling Papers (Album Review)


1. When I’m Gone
2. On My Level (Feat. Too $Hort)
3. Black And Yellow
4. Roll Up
5. Hopes & Dreams
6. Wake Up
7. The Race
8. Star Of The Show (Feat. Chevy Woods)
9. No Sleep
10. Get Your S**T
11. Top Floor
12. Fly Solo
13. Rooftops (Feat. Curren$Y)
14. Cameras


When I'm Gone - This is cool. The beat is nice. I don't like the hook at all. I think this may be the first time I ever cringed when hearing a Wiz hook. It doesn't really feel like an intro. It's not bad but it's not really good either.

Get On My Level - I know this song is old but I never bothered to listen to it because it features Too Short (Can you blame me?). This has a cool little vibe. I love the synths Jim Jonsin uses. The hook is nothing special but it works. The verses aren't anything special. I can listen to this one, though. Right after I remove Too Short's verse.

Black & Yellow - Double Platinum.

Roll Up - I take back what I said about the intro. THIS is the first Wiz hook that made me cringe. I understand why the song exists but, damn, this shit is corny. It will probably sell just as much as Black & Yellow.

Hopes & Dreams - This beat is dope! I don't really care for the hook but it's not trash. I like everything else about the song. Smooth vibe. 

Wake Up - Another StarGate beat. I'm going to go cry in the corner now. What the fuck is this? I guess they had him make a pop album. He has used the same flow on every song thus far. Yeah, this pretty corny.

The Race - I heard this before the album and is the only song from the album that I like so far. Smooth track. Great production and a dope hook. Definitely a stand out.

Star Of The Show - Let me start by saying Chevy Woods is pure garbage. This sounds like a 40 (Drake's producer) beat. The hook is okay. Honestly, it sounds like he's trying too hard on this one. Either that or he's not comfortable with the music. It's lacking emotion.

No Sleep - This is garbage. I knew he was going to make some pop shit but not a pop album. I am highly disappointed. 

Get Your Shit - This beat sounds dope but it's ruined by another cheesy, pop, hook. Again, he's using the same flow. This beat is nice, though.

Top Floor - I can't stomach this shit anymore. I literally feel sick. This guy has so much talent but he chose to sell out.

Fly Solo - LOL. "Same song to a different beat." He knows he's making bullshit. This is one of those generic pop rock songs. 

Rooftops - This track features Curren$y so hopefully it won't be pop. This hook sucks too. Curren$y delivers a solid verse which, besides "The Race", may be the highlight of the album.

Cameras - You know this is going to be pop as soon as it comes on. This is SUPER pop. This is garbage as fuck. 

Overview
I can't believe it. I knew his sound was going to change but I don't think the change in any artist's sound has ever been THIS drastic when going from underground to mainstream. This shit is absurd. He went from a weed rapper to a pothead pop singer. This album has NO soul whatsoever. None of this is real. Like he says on "Fly Solo", "Same song to a different beat." That's all this album is. You can argue that his old shit was the same way but at least they were rap beats. At least the hooks were good. This is watered down GARBAGE. The highlight of the album is "The Race" and by highlight I mean the only song worth listening to. The album has great (pop) production and that's where the positive things to say about the album run out.


10 comments:

  1. First time i ever came across your blog.

    Some advice if you want any sort of traffic; be more professional in your word usage.

    Mind of Critic sounds nice and savy.

    Live up to the name and people will fucks with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was let down, wiz could have blew up even more with this one. I'll stick to his mixtapes before he became mainstream. Sorry Wiz shits awful

    ReplyDelete
  3. i get what you're saying and agree for the most part but fly solo and cameras are old songs, cameras was a different name but cant remember and i personally didn't mind get youre shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well he followed the $, big surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS ALBUM FROM WIZ SHOWS HE'S A WANKSTA THAT'S WHAT I CAN SAY

    ReplyDelete
  6. This album is hot! Pure Pop fire....thats where the game is going with dudes like B.o.B., Lupe and shit....thats where the moneys at so thats where everyone is going. Cant blame them...at the end of the day these artists gotta sell n make $$. The critics can talk whatever but this dude is gonna sell with this pop album. Dont hate on a weed head makin money. His style was always singing n shit...he always had a different pop type flow even in his mixtapes....i dont get your critique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol I just listened to this whole album....i take back my previous comment....damn this is on some gym class heroes type shit. this aint even catagorized as rap...lmao. Wiz, Gym Class and Kevin Rudolf need to come out with an album together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruh this album is just BAD pop music for girls. That's the fact of the matter.

    Yeah it'll sell. But Wiz has taken a shit on his original fanbase by selling out like this, and he's killed his own career by doing this. When his current wave dies down his old fans aint gon fuck with him no more and no one will buy his shit. The fucked up thing is he coulda released a good album and people woulda bought it too. I hope Spitta lost all respect for Wiz after listening to this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, and maybe this is why Johnny Julianno didn't send him any tracks. There's a difference between album cuts and straight selling out. At least Drake had a decent album although So Far Gone was better. Cabin Fever is better than this. Sad thing is the old songs on here that I already heard that he decided to release were the trash ones. Huey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wiz Khalifa mixtape right before the cd cabin fever hott right then rolling papers ok but look at it this way Rolling papers came out not what you used to with wiz but if you are a wiz fan and know wiz and what he is about money dont get me wrong to buy a cd and to hear the same songs is a let down but im going to stick with wiz lets see what hapens next time..i give rolling papers 3 stars.. i think this cd will grow on people from my stand point its good i really like the beats flows hooks and flows were not the usual wiz but its a new wiz

    ReplyDelete