Search

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Conspiracy Theory


Okay this blog covers a few things. First, my theory of why the album is all over the place. Second, my theory of why everyone thinks this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My third and final point will be revealed when I get to it so go ahead and continue reading.

I don't believe that this is the same album ass Good Ass Job. I think Kanye was focusing on his movie more than the album. I believe that he made a few songs (the ones in the movie) to go along with it. During this time I think Jay was in the studio a lot with him hearing the records for Good Ass Job. I think they secretly decided to take whatever songs he had ready GAJ and use them for the collaboration album Watch The Throne. So, the GAJ songs are gone and he's left with only the songs from the movie for his next album. Jay-Z and Kanye are no longer label mates so WTT would have probably been put on hold until Kanye released another album. He had one album left in his Def Jam deal before MBDTF so I'm thinking that he took the songs from the movie and made a few more to go with them in order to fulfill his contract.

Cue GOOD Fridays. Kanye "fans" worldwide rejoice after learning that their lord and savior will be dropping a new song every Friday until the album releases. He proceed to drop some of the most lackluster songs I had ever heard from him. The best thing about any of them we're the Jay-Z features sans "Don't Look Down". Most of them had nice beats but they were ruined by wack features. Why is Ryan Leslie rapping on ANYTHING? Then you have songs that just sound like pure bullshit ("See Me Now"). At this point I thought dude was losing his mind or something but looking back it was the beginning of him creating the rest of his album. By the way, "So Appalled" might be the biggest waste of a beat EVER.

Only the songs that were featured in the movie actually fit the concept. The album as a whole is all over the place. It features great production but the subject matter and consistency is almost nonexistent. The best song, in my opinion, is the intro ("Dark Fantasy"). I still have NO CLUE why "Don't Look Down" wasn't included on the album. It was EASILY the best GOOD Friday song and it actually fit the theme of the story VERY well.

Fast forward to the album leaking. The hype begins. People are rejoicing in unison on internet forums everywhere. You can't go anywhere without reading "This might be the best album I've ever heard!" or some other dumb shit like that. This isn't even Kanye's best album. Actually it's his worst. That brings me to my next point which is why the album is receiving so much hype.

Kanye fans are loving the fuck out of this album for one reason and one reason only. He's rapping. Most of the people who hated his last album 808s and Heartbreak seem to overly love this simple ass album. Like I said before he isn't really talking about anything on here. The rest of his albums actually have substance and subject matter. 808s was much more personal and had music you can feel. This is just a commercial rap album with no real direction.

My final point is that it seems to be people who don't know music well that are hyping this album up beyond belief. If this is the best album you ever heard in your life you literally would've had to been born yesterday (the day it dropped). It seems that whenever I talk to someone who loves music as much as I do that they feel the same way about the album while all the casual listeners are in love. You can't possibly listen to any other genres of music if you proclaim this as great. It's just not possible. You kids need to listen to some metal, jazz, soul, or something.

This all just fits in with the way Hip-Hop is right now. Fans are forcing themselves to like everything their favorite artists make. I know rap sucks right now but damn. There are too many people dropping half assed material. I expect more from you Mr. West. I also thought you had smarter fans but I guess not.

11 comments:

  1. realest shit i've ever heard about this album. i agree COMPLETELY with the last statement too. your theory makes complete sense and i wouldnt be surprised. hype and mediocracy go hand in hand unfortunately. i think people will look back on this album and be like 'the fuck?!' its crazy cuz he's not even rapping about much. like my friend say 'he's just whining abotu pussy' lol. i found this review off nt btw. thanks for posting it. i thought i was goin crazy over this damn album lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. I think people will see it eventually once the hype dies down some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not alone with this world. I feel like the whole album was just based on production purposes rather than actual substantial music.

    GOOD read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your theory, but as far as the rest of the review you come off as angry and very judgemental. Dark Fantasy, Gorgous, All of the Lights, Hell of A Life & Blame Game are all really well put together songs with great concepts, purpose & substance. I think hearing the album in it's entirty would have been better than 50% of the tracks being "leaked" by Kanye himself. Still doesn't take away from what tracks like Power, Runaway & Devil In a Dress are. Overall I enjoyed the album & I think it's the second best album to be released this year (next to The Roots HIGO).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The press is even saying its his best album to date (that's false)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear Def Jam had to drop some bribe money to these people. It doesn't make sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big 'Ye fan, and yep...I love the album.

    Unfortunately, I don't fit in your "hated 808s" or "doesn't love/listen to a lot of other genres" - (The new Kings of Leon is my other favorite album of the year)

    I loved the album, and honestly "So Appalled" and "Devil In A New Dress" are two of my favorite songs of the year. Seriously.

    So I kinda agree with the anonymous dood in think you're allowing your personal biases to make you angry at everyone else's enjoyment/ "overhype"

    But dood, I understand; as I'm a huge CuDi and N*E*R*D fan, but wasn't really impressed with their new shit, while all the other fans are masturbating to them

    so...

    #kanyeshrug

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is slightly off topic but please can u recommend some music you LOVE not like please cause u come of as an elitist but actually a critic but I guess thats your aim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kanye fell in the "Lil Wayne random bars" syndrome.. There are a couple actual songs, but others are kind of bad.. In no way am I saying this is a terrible album. It's def better than other rap albums this year, But I hear a couple of Kanye purist saying it's a classic. I personally can't say that cause it's not better than he's first 3 albums (808 isn't rap, so it's not included)

    -C_Coltrane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I kinda agree---but kinda not lol I absolutely ADORED 808S!!!! All of the songs made sense and they were easy to understand the purpose. Most of the songs on this project I have no idea what they are about....especially in So Appalled. He talk about "that's why I rather spit something that got a purp", but the hook to the song is talkin' about a lavish lifestyle the "niggas outta work" can't understand :-/

    but! I do still like it, and I think it was at least better than Graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait where did I say I didn't like 808s? That's my shit and YES, that part on So Appalled had me puzzled as well.

    ReplyDelete